Jan 18, 2011

Homophones: Whose and Who's

Do you remember what I told you about homophones in class? Homophones are words that have different spelling but same pronunciation. The example I gave you was their, there and they're, all three pronounced /dea/. Other instances of homophones are your, you're /jo:/ or one, won /wAn/.

As regards relative pronouns, we should not leave aside two homophones that may cause confusion even to native speakers of English: whose and who's. The difference in form and meaning is obvious, the former is the relative adjective (Spanish 'cuyo-a,-os-as') and the latter is the contraction of the relative pronoun who and either the verb form is or has. Let's see this in the following examples:

I know a woman whose kids study here.
I know a woman who's been to Iraq twice.
I know a woman who's living in Iraq.

Some practice?
Exercise 1, Exercise 2.

Do you want to listen to it?

No comments:

Post a Comment