Jan 12, 2011

Present Perfect Simple vs. Present Perfect Continuous

Hi there!

This week we've studied the contrast between the two Present Perfect forms, i.e. Present Perfect Simple and Present Perfect Progressive or Continuous. Did you understand all my explanations in class? Yes? Not quite? Umm Don't worry. I'll try to make all this clear in this post. First, look at the following examples:

(a) I've written five letters this week.(b) I've been writing for five hours.
Both tenses are used to express that an action began in the past and is still going on or has just finished. In many cases, both forms are correct, but there is often a difference in meaning: we use the Present Perfect Simple mainly to express that an action is completed or to emphasise the result. We use the Present Perfect Progressive to emphasise the duration or continuous course of an action.


Result or Duration?
Do you want to express what has happened so far or how long an action has been going on yet?
Present Perfect Simple for result (signal words: what?, how much?, how often?):
I've written two poems (how many poems have you written?, what have you written?)
I've been to London twice (how often have you been to London?)

Present Perfect Continuous for duration (signal words: how long?):
I've been writing for an hour (how long have you been writing?)
She's been working here since last Monday (how long has she been working here?)

Completion or Duration?
Do you want to highlight the completion of an action or its continuous course (how has somebody spent their time)?
Present Perfect Simple for emphasis on completion:
I have done my homework (= my homework is completed now)

Present Perfect Continuous for emphasis on duration:
I have been doing my homework (= that's how I've spent my time, maybe I haven't finished it)

Longer periods or Shorter periods?
Present Perfect Simple for longer periods which somehow relate to permanent situations:
John has lived in this town for ten years (= he's a permanent resident in this town)

Present Perfect Continuous for shorter periods which somehow relate to temporary situations:
John has been living here for two months (= maybe he's a temporary resident in the town)

Don't forget!!
Stative verbs can only be used with the Present Perfect Simple, for they do not admit continuous forms: be, have, feel, hear, know, notice, realise, think, believe, understand, want...

For practice:
Exercise 1, Exercise 2, Exercise 3, Exercise 4

Do you want to listen to it?

No comments:

Post a Comment